Thursday, August 26, 2010

Birthday Visit to the ER

So Chance turned the big 16 this week-big boy! Bart asked him when he was going on a date and he said not until he gets his drivers license in November. Bart told him he'd be happy to drive Chance and a girl on a date but Chance didn't take him up on that one. Chance had quite the exciting birthday. I got a call from his football trainer asking me if I could get to the school quickly to take him to the emergency room because he dislocated and broke his finger and if I couldn't get over there asap that they would need to take him themselves. So I left the babe with Brayden (scary) because Bart wasn't home but could make it there in about fifteen minutes. I got to the school and they met me at the door telling me to tell the hospital that he had a compound fracture. Chance was holding a big thing of gauze on his finger to try to keep it from bleeding and told me not to look at it. He had dislocated his finger and the bone and tendon had popped out of the skin. Yuck! I didn't look until we got to the hospital and the doctor was giving him some shots to numb it. His finger was in the shape of a Z, looking very mangled. The bone was sticking out of the bottom but I didnt' look at that. Chance has a picture of it on his phone and would be happy to text to anyone who wants to see it. So we were in the ER for a couple of hours. The good news was he didn't brake the bone, the joint just popped out of the skin due to the bad dislocation. They put it back in place and stitched him up. We do have to see a hand specialist to make sure the nerves and tendons are Ok. He was bummed because he has to sit out of football for about fifteen days and will miss his first game. We took him out to dinner that night and came home and opened presents and had cake. Luckily he had had a party with some friends the Saturday before his b-day. Notice the big finger wrap and hospital band in this picture. Poor kid.





1 comment:

  1. I almost got nauseous just reading about the finger! I can't believe Chance is 16 - how the years have flown by. oh - and I love birthday banner!

    ReplyDelete